Getting Started with SketchUp and Layout
What You'll Learn
Whether you are a graphic designer, videographer, hobbyist, inventor, builder, or architect, Sketchup and Layout are powerful, affordable 3D modeling tools that push projects forward.
This workshop will teach you how to use the software for building a model of your house, designing furniture, 3D modeling your next great invention, rendering photorealistic 3D images, creating custom 3D logos and icons, staging your next film shoot, and with Layout, turning your model into a blueprint.
You'll leave with a fundamental understanding of Sketchup and Layout, including tips and tricks on how to quickly present, print, or build your 3D ideas to move your projects forward. We will also touch on advanced methods to build more complex models for those bigger projects.
This workshop will cover:
- Sketchup and Layout workflow
- Components and group nesting
- Layer management
- Adding textures
- Keyboard shortcuts and tricks
- Linking models and components
- Printing blueprints
- Forming complex shapes
- Creating walk-throughs and presentations
- Exporting 2D and 3D files
Note: Please download free copies of Sketchup and Layout prior to class to familiarize yourself with the programs.
What to Expect
- This workshop is presented in an accelerated, lecture-style format and is not a follow-along workshop. Please, do not come to class expecting to be able to follow along as the instructor presents. Doing so may result in you falling behind and not getting the full benefits of this workshop.
- This workshop is an overview of best practices and not a specific tutorial on troubleshooting. We will touch on a little bit of everything, but not go in-depth on any one tool or technique. There is a Q& A section near the end of the workshop so please, hold your specific questions until that time.
- As this is an overview presentation, do not come to class expecting to leave with a mastery of Sketchup.
Who Should Take This
Anyone interested in creating 3D objects or advanced 2D images through the use of modeling. This class is designed for a broad range of professions, including graphic designers, videographers, hobbyists, inventors, builders, and architects.
Presented By Tyler Barnard
Tyler Barnard is the founder of Analog Design Studio in Boulder, CO, a design firm combing the efforts of architecture design, film, 3D modeling and digital graphics. Having graduated with a Masters in Architectural Design from UCL in London, Tyler uses 3D models, CGI and digital graphics to stay on the cutting edge of design and architecture.
BDA Members: $69.00
Sorry, we don't have this event scheduled right now but we'll probably be adding it again soon! If you're interested in this event, we recommend using our follow feature to be notified the next time we add it to our schedule. You can also email us to request that we add it soon.
Amazing and impressive. A lot to digest in one evening. I'm not an architect but I am a designer and I love this! [The instructor was] very skilled but clearly concerned about the class comprehending and following, very approachable and open-minded.Nadia EveRead All Comments