Create a Beautiful, Custom WordPress Website in a Day!
What You'll Learn
In this hands-on class, you will quickly learn how to create a custom WordPress website using a powerful theme called WP Jump Start. WP Jump Start was created for beginners as well as advanced developers to build custom websites for themselves or for clients. The features include:
- Several ready-go-to demo templates.
- Easy-to-use styling options.
- Support for Google Fonts and Typekit fonts.
- Mobile responsive.
- Custom Layout Builder to create modern page layouts, including full-width banner, lightbox videos, parallax scrolling backgrounds, video backgrounds, and more! See: http://demoblvd.com/plugins/builder/.
- Many post display options (grids and lists).
- Portfolio post type for creative agencies and artists to create client/artistic portfolios.
Please note this is a BYOL - Bring Your Own Laptop - class!
In this class you'll learn to
- Install a parent theme and child theme.
- Set Theme Options to personalize your site, including choosing Google Fonts, uploading a logo, and setting theme colors.
- Create unique page layouts.
- Showcase your blog posts in a variety of ways.
- Customize your styles using CSS selectors.
- Must have plugins to install (for contact forms, SEO, and security). Note: In-depth instruction for these plugins will not be taught during class, but there are follow up classes you can take to learn more.
- Best practices for WordPress Settings.
- You will need your own laptop.
- You need a general understanding of how WordPress works with pages, posts, categories, and tags and equivalent knowledge to WordPress for Beginners - How to Run Your Own Site/Blog.
- A current WordPress website installation on a WordPress friendly web host with current server configuration.
- A website you do not mind switching themes on. (If you have a current site that you don't want overwrite just yet, contact the instructor for instructions on how to set up a "staging" site.)
- Graphics (logos, background images), colors, text content, and any other ideas you have for your site organized and ready to use.
- Understanding of HTML and CSS very helpful though not mandatory. Much of the theme is quite accessible to end-users. Knowing HTML and CSS will help you be able to do more styling. Other classes that would be helpful:
What to Expect:
This class will get you started in creating your own unique website. The instructor will contact you before class to make sure you are ready to hit the ground running. After class, you will have "homework" to finish your site and continue working to finalize your site's pages.
The instructor will provide the WP Jump Start theme to all class participants. Participants will be responsible for a purchasing a theme license after class for $89/year (unlimited sites). The theme license allows you to contact the theme developer for support, receive theme updates, and use the theme on other sites.
Sample beginner sites created using WP Jump Start theme:
Sample intermediate/advanced sites created using WP Jump Start theme:
Presented By Angela Bowman
Angela Bowman has worked with WordPress since 2007 after learning about it in a class at Boulder Digital Arts. Since then, she has made a career of building custom WordPress websites for nonprofits and local businesses. Her blog AskWPGirl.com has gained an international following for its clear instruction on a variety of WordPress topics. Angela presents at WordCamps and Meetups and co-organizes the Boulder WordPress Builders Meetup. She is passionate about making the learning process engaging and satisfying by including students in discussions and providing easy-to-follow instructions along with thorough class notes.