Getting Started with Google Analytics
What You'll Learn
Google Analytics is a free tool which can show you everything you need to know about your web users, informing you which pages and online campaigns are most effective. This workshop focuses on training you on how to use Google Analytics to drive actionable insights from your data.
Select BDA workshops are now offered for remote participation including this one! The 4/23/2019 date of this course will be available as a live stream.
How It Works:
Simply register as you normally would (registration fees are the same) and indicate in the "notes" field that you prefer to attend remotely. Then, you'll receive an email to a private YouTube live stream right before the class. You'll see two high-definition camera angles and a clear view of the instructor's presentation or computer screen. You'll also be able to ask questions using the "chat" feature.
Starting with a little background on how web analytics works, we'll go over and show you how to install Google Analytics on your website. We'll then end with a walk-through of everything you'll need to know about the Google Analytics tool and how to make it work for you. You'll leave class with both knowledge and resources for further learning.
This class will cover...
- A walkthrough of the main metrics and dimensions reported in Google analytics.
- Typical Google Analytics uses and best practices.
- Important administrative settings you should know.
- A walkthrough of the Google Analytics interface and reporting.
- How to interpret data and find actionable insights in your reports.
- Helpful resources for advanced implementations.
What Not to Expect
- Intro to web basics.
- Learning how to use the Google AdWords interface.
- Google Tag Manager implementation.
- Details on advanced Google Analytics topics like event tracking, data import, or custom dimensions.
- For Advanced Google Analytic topics, please see our Google Analytics: Beyond the Basics workshop.
Before you attend:
We recommend signing up for a free demo account before coming to this workshop, in order to get the most out of it. Also, students should bring a laptop to get the most out of the class (follow along in the live demo, if you choose, plus note taking).
Who Should Take This
Intermediate level web designers, developers, marketers, or business owners who want to know how web users interact with their sites. If you don't understand basic web terms, you should take Web Fundamentals first.
Presented By Ray Stein
Ray Stein has created and executed hundreds of digital marketing campaigns and strategies for companies and Google Analytics has been a part of almost every one of those engagements. He regularly consults with marketing agencies on their processes and how to increase value to their clients. As co-organizer of the Denver Google Analytics meetup and a certified advanced user of Google Analytics, he often speaks to large groups on how to best leverage Google Analytics.