Building Modern Websites with WordPress
What You'll Learn
In this hands-on class, you will quickly learn how to create a custom WordPress website using a powerful theme called GeneratePress. GeneratePress was created for beginners as well as advanced developers to build custom websites for themselves or for clients. The features include:
- Several ready-go-to demo templates.
- Easy-to-use styling options.
- Support for Google Fonts and Typekit fonts.
- Mobile responsive.
- Custom Layout Builder to create modern page layouts, including full-width banner, lightbox videos, parallax scrolling backgrounds, video backgrounds, and more! See: http://demoblvd.com/plugins/builder/.
- Many post display options (grids and lists).
- Portfolio post type for creative agencies and artists to create client/artistic portfolios.
In this class you'll learn to:
- Install a parent theme and child theme.
- Set Theme Options to personalize a site, including choosing Google Fonts, uploading a logo, and setting theme colors.
- Create unique page layouts.
- Showcase your blog posts in a variety of ways.
- Best practices for WordPress Settings.
This is a hands-on class where you'll "learn by doing" - therefore you'll need a computer (Mac or PC). If you need any particular software installed, that will be detailed below. Not all programs require special software so if there isn't any detailed listed below you will only need a computer with an up-to-date web browser.
You will be provided a WordPress demo installation to work on during class as well as all files necessary to build the sample site designed by the instructor.
- You will need your own laptop.
- You need a general understanding of how WordPress works with pages, posts, categories, and tags and equivalent knowledge to WordPress for Beginners - How to Run Your Own Site/Blog.
What to Expect:
This class will walk you step by step through creating a SAMPLE website that utilizes many common modern design trends:
- Full-width sections with different colored backgrounds, images, videos set as standard, parallax, or fixed scrolling
- Transparent headers
- Columns of content with text, images and text, different color backgrounds
- Icon box
- Lightbox video and images
- Google fonts
You will be provided a WordPress demo installation to work on during class as well as all files necessary to build the sample site designed by the instructor. You will have access to all course lessons and the demo site online for 1 year after class. You will be responsible to take what you learn in class to customize your own site on your own hosting account.
If participants decided to build their own sites using the GeneratePress theme, they will be responsible for a purchasing a theme license after class for $89/year (unlimited sites). The theme license allows you to contact the theme developer for support, receive theme updates, and use the theme on other sites.
Sample beginner sites created using GeneratePress theme:
Sample intermediate/advanced sites created using GeneratePress theme:
Presented By Angela Bowman
Angela Bowman has worked with WordPress since 2007 after learning about it in a class at Boulder Digital Arts. Since then, she has made a career of building custom WordPress websites for nonprofits and local businesses. Her blog AskWPGirl.com has gained an international following for its clear instruction on a variety of WordPress topics. Angela presents at WordCamps and Meetups and co-organizes the Boulder WordPress Builders Meetup. She is passionate about making the learning process engaging and satisfying by including students in discussions and providing easy-to-follow instructions along with thorough class notes.
BDA Members: $249.00
Sorry, we don't have this event scheduled right now but we'll probably be adding it again soon! If you're interested in this event, we recommend using our follow feature to be notified the next time we add it to our schedule. You can also email us to request that we add it soon.
Angela was super organized, with a online class modules that matched exactly what we were doing so there was no need to take notes during the class. It was great to concentrate on doing the steps and learning, and to know that I'll be able to refer to the notes for the next few months as I work on what we learned.BettyRead All Comments