WordPress One-On-One Consulting
Are you ready to learn exactly what you need to know for YOUR website? Whether it's covering the basics of web hosting, delving into Search Engine Optimization, organizing your navigation, creating pages, creating image libraries, or mastering new WordPress themes & widgets & plug-ins, this one-on-one session with BDA Instructor Angela Bowman will help you figure out your specific WordPress & web development related questions.
Generally held the third Friday of the month (however not always). You choose your preferred one-hour time slot!
You MUST indicate in the "notes" field which time slot you prefer during the registration process. BDA staff will follow up and either confirm your reservation (time slot) or work with you to choose another slot. Time slots that have already been reserved are marked as
Time Slots Available for Appointments on March 24:
10:00am - 11:00am 11:15am - 12:15pm 12:45pm -1:45pm KD 2:00pm - 3:00pm - SA 3:15pm - 4:15pm
- Getting Started
- Getting started with WordPress by setting up hosting and/or installing WordPress
- Finding or installing a WordPress theme that matches your business needs
- Locating just the right WordPress plugin to do what you need to do
- Figuring out plugin or theme functionality
- Working with image galleries
- Customizing your WordPress theme look and feel through CSS
- Writing and/or using functions
- Creating custom templates
- Troubleshooting tricky HTML or CSS issues
- Strategizing how to approach a project with a client in terms of coding and content organization
- Working with custom fields and other custom content types to create a better user interface
- Creating an Apache development environment on your local computer
Security and Maintenance
- Submitting your site to Google Webmaster Tools
- Basic SEO strategies
- Scheduling backups to go to Amazon S3 service
- Site performance audit: database sizes and tables, FTP file sizes and housecleaning, page load times, caching
- Recovering from a hack
- Site code audit: HTML/CSS efficiency
- Setting up security plugins and monitoring
- Not all issues can be resolved in one hour. You may need to schedule additional time to come to completion on your project. The BDA consultant may or may not be available for additional hours outside the third Friday sessions, but he or she can help point you in a direction for additional assistance as needed.
- If you have an issue that you're not sure is a WordPress functionality issue and would like to find out, in advance, if it is something our consultant can help you with, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are running an old version of WordPress (3.7 or earlier), are on Windows hosting, or on a hosting account you've had for many years, you may need to upgrade your hosting account first before our consultant can help you. Please bring your hosting login information to your session.
- Please be sure to bring login information for your WordPress Dashboard, web hosting control panel, ftp (optional though very helpful), and domain registration (optional).
Presented By Angela Bowman
Angela Bowman has worked with WordPress since 2007 after learning about it in a class at Boulder Digital Arts. Since then, she has made a career of building custom WordPress websites for nonprofits and local businesses. Her blog AskWPGirl.com has gained an international following for its clear instruction on a variety of WordPress topics. Angela presents at WordCamps and Meetups and co-organizes the Boulder WordPress Builders Meetup. She is passionate about making the learning process engaging and satisfying by including students in discussions and providing easy-to-follow instructions along with thorough class notes.
BDA Members: $125.00
Sorry, we don't have this event scheduled right now but we'll probably be adding it again soon! If you're interested in this event, we recommend using our follow feature to be notified the next time we add it to our schedule. You can also email us to request that we add it soon.
Angela is absolutely amazing! In one hour, we covered material that could have taken several weeks to touch on. She is fantastic at explaining steps quickly and clearly, and her fast grasp on what I was trying to ask was phenomenal. It was the perfect balance of her "driving" the mouse while I took notes, and her being patient while I drove sometimes too. The follow up material and additional resources were exactly what I needed to be able to keep proceeding forward. I could not have done this without her help, and I look forward to many more classes at BDA with her, and also some she suggested with other professors at BDA. Thank you so much for this opportunity! The one on one consulting is perfect for anyone who has specific questions and a busy schedule!JessicaRead All Comments