Aesthetics of Editing
What You'll Learn
If you're wondering what footage to leave in and what to cut, think beyond the keyboard shortcut and explore the artistic side of video editing! Professional editing is more than just software skills - make more efficient editing choices and you'll have a better video.
This workshop examines documentary editing, cutting interviews and supporting those interviews with B-roll. We'll work through multiple examples together, building a sense of how editing directly impacts the story you tell.
This workshop will cover:
- Isolating good sound bites and selects from longer interviews
- Organizing interviews to best tell your story
- Trimming out pauses and flubs
- Rearranging interviews within your sequence
- Smoothing out tough edits
- Cutting in B-roll to support your story
- Pacing your story
Instruction is presented in Final Cut Studio 3 with Final Cut Pro 7, but the focus of the workshop is artistic rather than technical.
Who Should Take This
Video editors and filmmakers who want a better understanding of how artistic choices affect video. You will get the most out of this workshop if you already know a non-linear editing program like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere.