Introduction to Audio Mixers
What You'll Learn
Have you ever looked at an audio mixer with all their sliders, knobs and flashing lights and wondered where on earth to start?
Knowing how to use a mixer properly can make the difference between a well-recorded sound track and something which is distinctly substandard. Even if you're brand new at audio recording, using a mixer won't be hard and it will give your sound a professional touch. In some situations where your production requires many microphones or sound sources a mixer is absolutly essential such as recording 3 or 4 live speakers or filming people at a conference.
This 45 minute video will give you the knowledge you need to approach any mixer and the the skills you need to create a great mix with it! You'll learn:
- What is a mixer and why would you need to use one?
- Powered vs. unpowered mixers and "phantom power"
- Using the master volume control and common other volume controls (headphones, alt mixes, etc.)
- How to monitor your mix and use the meters to avoid distortion and overdriving the signal
- A detailed breakdown of the common controls found in each individual "channel strip" (trim, volume, eq, balance, etc.)
- Explanation of "auxillary sends" and how and why they're used
- An overview of some of the other common "bells and whistles" found on some mixers (sends/returns, tape in/out, etc.)
- How to hook up a mixer and some background on balanced vs. unbalanced cabling
Presented By Alex Bullen
Alex Bullen is an independent music producer and sound mixer based in Boulder County, Colorado. Through his 12 years of production experience he has specialized in turning raw audio into a final product. He has created thousands of minutes of custom music for a variety of projects, from "webisodes" and film shorts to full-length music albums. Alex loves helping others learn how to create great-sounding audio tracks, how to read music, and how to properly utilize modern A/V technology.
We're sure our programs are awesome! If you don't think you got your money's worth, we'll give you a full refund within 30 days of your purchase. So, get going today - risk free!
Why Our Videos Are So Awesome
- Practical: Learn practical skills quickly from industry pros that you can apply right away.
- Incredible Content: Videos range from 10 minutes to 3 hours with detailed chapters and all the class materials (when available).
- Flexible: Learn at your own pace anywhere. Stream our videos to your computer or mobile device or download them to use offline on your commute to work.
- Lifetime Access: Whether you download the program or prefer to stream it from our website, your access to the videos never expires like a subscription program would.
- Proven: BDA has been educating creative pros for nearly ten years in Boulder and now you can join us wherever you are! Welcome to Boulder!
- Value: Get exactly what you need - when you need it - at a super low price. No ongoing subscription fees, no commitments, instant purchase and instant learning.
- Quality: All BDA videos are professionally produced with high definition video and great sound.