Web Development Fundamentals
What You'll Learn
Before you start designing websites, it's best to understand the technologies that make the web work and what acronyms like HTML, FTP, and CSS mean! This workshop will introduce you to everything you need to think about BEFORE you begin designing a site. Starting right will save you hours of time and trouble later!
We'll talk about information architecture - what should go where and why. We'll discuss how to keep your site from turning into a birds' nest of folders and hard-to-decipher files. You'll learn about hosting and maintenance along with user support from the design phase up to helping your users take over a site after you've built it.
This workshop will cover:
- FTP and why it should be the first tool in your web-developer toolbox
- HTML basics and the building blocks of a web page
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and how they control the presentation of HTML
- Flash and what role it plays in presentation, interaction, and the ups and downs of using it
- Very general intro to server-side programming such as PHP or Ruby on Rails for dynamic pages
- Content Management Systems vs. static sites
What to Expect
- This class is structured to help get your started in the world of web, but it will not go "in-depth" into any one topic. If you're looking to:
- Learn HTML, see our Intro to HTML Workshop.
- For building skills in CSS, we have a 2-part Web Design with CSS workshop.
- Our Web Design Certificate Program will give you an accelerated start creating websites through an in-depth 35 hr. course curriculum.
- For WordPress specific courses and training, see our website here.
A video of this class is available for immediate viewing from only $35!See Video Details
Bonus! in-person registrants can purchase the video at half-price after attending the class!
Who Should Take This
Anyone who wants to build a website but doesn't know where to begin - or even what questions to ask! You should have a sound working knowledge of either a PC or Mac.
Presented By Brian Shaffer