Directing Professional and Non-Professional Talent
What You'll Learn
How do you bring out the best from the people you are filming? Whether you are making a drama, a documentary, or a music video, you want to get the most from your talent. What steps should you take to get a good interview or performance? While this is a lecture-style class where we will discuss and teach a range of techniques and solutions, you will also have the opportunity to practice during class.
Some of the elements covered will include:
- Script reading
- Pros & Cons of Professional vs Non-professional talent
- Teleprompter (practical in-class demo) pros & cons
- Blocking basics
- Storytelling basics
- Interview basics
- VO basics
- Do's and Don'ts
- Your role as the Director
- Continuity & Multiple takes
- Giving yourself options in the edit
- We will also talk briefly with a West Coast voice actor and a local on-screen actor about their ideas and tips on best direction from their point of view.
Presented By Antony Cooper
Antony Cooper has directed and produced numerous award-winning videos. Several years in music TV production for MTV and Polygram Records include names such as the Rolling Stones, the Who, Elvis Costello and INXS. Other projects include Director of on-air operations for the Denver based Scandinavian Channel, and Director of Photography on the environmental documentaries The Nature of Cities and Transforming Energy. Antony has written and directed videos for Miller Brewing, Olympus Cameras, the pharmaceutical manufacturer Roche, and national 9-1-1 database management company Intrado.
BDA Members: $79.00